Huevos Rancheros is a classic Mexican breakfast dish, which I have NEVER eaten or made... until today! Like most of you know, I love Mexican food so this easy breakfast was a no - brainer to try. Not only is it easy to make, it's pretty healthy on both your stomach and wallet.
Here is what you'll need:
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 chopped, 1 smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can black beans (15.5 ounces), drained and rinsed
- **Note: I do not like beans, so I omitted this ingredient and it turned out great! HOWEVER, having the beans will likely fill your stomach much more!!
- 4 large eggs
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches each), warmed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- Prepare the salsa: Set a grater in a large bowl; grate the tomatoes and onion into the bowl.
- Add the jalapeno, chopped garlic, hot sauce, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Heat a medium skillet over low heat and add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Fry the salsa in the oil until it thickens slightly, 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the beans to the same pan along with the smashed garlic, 1/2 cup warm water and a pinch of salt; cook over low heat until warmed through, smashing slightly with a fork. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in another skillet. Fry the eggs sunny-side up; season with pepper.
- Place 1 warm tortilla on each plate. Divide the beans among them, then top with a fried egg, some salsa and cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with the remaining salsa.
|corn tortilla, fried egg, fresh salsa, crumbled cheese|
This was a quick and easy twist to an ordinary Sunday brunch. Nick and I really enjoyed it -- I know it will likely be on our weekend brunch rotation. Next time I may attempt to crisp up the tortilla, which, I think, will only add to the dish. It will be like you're eating a traditional breakfast dish with the crunch of a dinner taco.
I hope you all enjoy!
Until next time, happy brunching!! :)