I made mini skillet meatloaves last night for Nick. I do not like meatloaf so I had to make something I would like as a side dish. I've been talking about giving mac and cheese a try, but had obvious reservations since my mom makes the BEST macaroni and cheese in the ENTIRE world. Nick really liked the mini loaves, though I'm not sure if he was only being nice because I was not going to taste them!
Here are the ingredients:
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and/or veal)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- cayenne pepper
- Mix the breadcrumbs, milk, parsley, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion, chili powder and garlic in a large bowl. Add the meat, season with salt and pepper and mix with your hands until combined. Shape into six 3-to-4-inch oval loaves.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the loaves and brown about 3 minutes per side.
- Whisk the ketchup, sugar and vinegar in a bowl and brush a few tablespoonfuls over the meat. Add 1/2 cup water to the skillet, cover and simmer over low heat until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the loaves to a plate. Add the remaining ketchup mixture to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring, until thick, 3 to 5 minutes.
The macaroni and cheese is super easy and can be made in advance and warmed in a crock pot on low for a few hours in the afternoon. [just remember the longer it's in the crock pot the thicker it will become, so it's safe to add some extra milk to keep it moist]
- melt 1-2 tablespoon butter in a large pot
- whisk in a tablespoon of flour
- once whisked, whisk in about 1/4 cup of milk
- add two cans cheddar cheese soup
- add two or three cups of milk [depending on how thick you want the cheese -- less milk for more thickness]
- cut up at least 2 1/2 blocks of extra sharp cheddar cheese [white or yellow is fine]
- stir cheese into cheese mixture until until fully melted
- add 1 box of cooked pasta [shells are fine or whatever kind of small pasta shells you like]
- then you can either stir and let simmer for 15 minutes or add all of it to a slow cooker and cook on low for a couple of hours [which is what I did!!]
Source: adapted from Food Network
Until next time, happy eating!! :)