I know that St. Patrick's Day is gone now, but this week has been a great success and I cannot go out without another sweet treat or two. Yes, as shameful as it is to hold on to the past and not move on, I do have one more sweet recipe that is associated with March and all of its greenness. Today, this second to last day in St. Patrick's Day week, I bring you Peppermint Patty Brownies. Oh yes, I bring them to you in all of their chocolaty, peppermint goodness.
The great thing about these brownies is they are relatively easy to make and very good. The not-so-great-thing about these chocolate squares is how addicting they are and the slight effect they may have on your waistline if you happen to eat an entire batch. Beware!
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) package of chocolate covered peppermint patties
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Beat in vanilla
- Combine the dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture and mix well
- Spread about two-thirds of the batter in a greased 13 x 9 baking pan
- Arrange peppermint patties over top
- Carefully spread remaining batter over patties
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
These brownies are relatively easy to make, just have some patience because spreading the batter over the peppermint patties takes a little extra time because the batter is sticky and the peppermint patties like to stick to the batter as you are spreading it over them. Other than that, the only other problem is how addicting they are once you eat one; these should be illegal in my household because they are creamy, rich and delicious. I hope you all enjoy and keep checking back for upcoming recipes and announcements!
Until Next Time,