There was a change in our plans yesterday afternoon and we did not have to make the trek North. As a result, I was able to get out all of my gluten – free ingredients and start experimenting in the kitchen. I knew I wanted to recreate a traditional Mexican dish, but I wanted it to be lighter and, obviously, free of gluten. Well, what I created ended up packed full of flavor and took less than 1 hour to create and bake. Now, that’s what I call impressive especially when your plans change and dinner at home is a must.
What did I make, you may ask? Well, last night I made Mango – Peach Chicken Enchiladas. Oh my! This dish is an amazing twist on the traditional Mexican dish. It is sweet with a little heat and comes together just like the traditional dish.
Your shopping list needs to include:
- Approximately 14 ounces of mango – peach salsa
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and seasoned, and shredded
- 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Oil, as needed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 ounce can of chopped green chiles
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350*
- Cook the chicken on medium – low heat until no longer pink on the inside, season with salt and pepper to taste, cool and shred
- Pour about half of the salsa into the bottom of a greased baking dish
- Pour lime juice over the chicken, season with more salt and pepper, if desired, and toss well to coat all of the shredded chicken
- Heat oil in a skilled and heat corn tortillas, individually, until softened, turning it over once to coat with oil
- Place the tortilla into the dish with the salsa, fill with chicken and roll up seam side down – repeat for the remaining tortillas, adding more oil, if needed
- Pour the remaining salsa all over the rolled tortillas
- Top with the chiles and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and red pepper flakes
- Bake for about 30 minutes. If you want, broil the dish the last 5 minutes
This was a wonderful dinner, impromptu as it was. I will definitely keep making this version of one of my favorite Mexican dishes. In fact, next time I WILL be making my own peach - mango salsa and my own green chiles! I'm pretty excited about it. Nick and I have had some fun experimenting making our own salsa for snacks in the past couple of months, so why not make one of my FAVORITE types of salsa in the whole world. Yes, you heard that right - mango - peach salsa is one of my favorite [if not THE favorite] salsa. I could eat it with a spoon, kind of like my previous obssession with Nutella. Oh yes, there was a time when I would eat Nutella from a spoon and go through a jar every 1 1/2 to 2 days. I was addicted; I blame most of that on my European adventure and eating the biggest Nutella filled crepes ever created by man on the streets of Rome.
The best part about this delicious meal is it is free from gluten. How amazing is that? I mean, eating these yummy enchiladas that are full of sinful flavor while maintaining the gluten - free lifestyle is amazing and, in this case, delicious! It is incredible!
Unfortunately, I do believe Nick and I will have to make our long journey up North to pick up our car tonight. That means only one major thing with respect to the blogging world - likely no incredible gluten free meal to bring to you all tomorrow. I apologize in advance! However, I will not let you down. I have a couple of things to bring to you, that I am pretty excited about... so you will get something tomorrow. But I am not sure how it will compare to this amazing meal!
Until Next Time,
Happy Gluten - Free Experimenting!!