I am not much of a breakfast person. Now brunch, I can really enjoy a good brunch. However, Nick really loves breakfast. It is not that I do not like breakfast food, because I love breakfast food. As a result, we sometimes have breakfast for dinner. But on the weekends, that’s a no go. We are typically up very early on the weekends but I am never running to the kitchen to make anything. Well, Nick took the reins and cooked up something pretty amazing.
He is pretty good about coming up with fun creations and I tend to come up with fun names. He learned how to make this breakfast long ago. And because we ate later in the morning yesterday we decided to make his old creation into a new dish to honor Grilled Cheese Month. Are you ready? Well, we made Eggies in a Hole Grilled Cheese Sandwich! It is like an egg and cheese sandwich, but instead the eggs are fried in a hole and then cheese is melted on two pieces of fried toast. It is pretty amazing. I was a little skeptical, but YUMMO!
Let’s get down to it. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 2 pieces of bread
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices of cheese – 2 Cheddar; 2 American
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Over medium heat, heat a large skillet
- With a cookie cutter, cut a whole into the middle of each slice of bread, being careful not to break the bread on the sides
- Butter both sides of each bread slice
- Crack each egg in its own individual dish
- Once skillet it hot, add each slice of bread to the skillet
- Immediately add one egg to each hole
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic to taste
- Let it cook until egg is completely fried/set on the bottom and the bottom of the bread is a golden color [like grilled cheese]
- Carefully flip each piece of bread over, ensuring that the egg does not break and repeat the frying process
- Re-season if you desire
- Once flipped, add cheese to each slice of bread and cook until melted [which should coincide with the egg being fully cooked and the bottom part of the bread being golden]
- Stack the bread together like a sandwich, so that the cheesy sides are together like a grilled cheese sandwich!
This was so good. Like I said, I was very skeptical with this but I gave him the keys to the kitchen and he went to town. I don’t want you all to think this guy cannot cook, because he can. Long before I ever had an inkling or desire to cook, he was whipping things up for us in no time. He actually loves to cook. Hopefully with our move coming up we can both get down and dirty in the kitchen. It would be great if our kitchen is bigger because that is a big impediment to have more than one person in the kitchen!
The best part about this grilled cheese breakfast sandwich is you can add your favorite breakfast meat to it. How awesome is that? The list is endless – bacon, sausage patties, Canadian bacon, ham, etc. Go to town with it if you want – use them all! J
I hope you all are enjoying your Sunday. We certainly are having a great time this weekend!!!
Until Next Time,
Happy Breakfast Creations!