Happy Easter my friends! I guess if you do not celebrate it is an ordinary Sunday. To me this an extraordinary period of time in Christianity and the world. As Christians we should always remember the crucifixion of our Lord and Savior, but especially today – the day He rose from the dead and descended into Heaven to sit at the right hand of God, his father!
Somewhere along the line most holidays have been commercialized in some way. While I may not understand the utility behind it, especially among those religious holidays, I participate with the best of you! I get wrapped up in buying gifts and special things for the people I love. Easter is no different. To many in the world not only does Easter include the story of Christ’s death but it includes yummy marshmallow peeps, chocolate bunnies and jelly beans galore. I’ll read and listen to the story of His resurrection while eating all of these things… everyday, in fact!
Because I am a commercialized glamour girl a lot of the time, I could not pass up the opportunity to make a fun Easter treat. Come on now! Even though I do not have children [except for King Pippy, the Almighty Yorkshire Terrier], Nick and I will devour an Easter treat before it even cools. So, what do you think we made? Well, I’ve got two things up my sleeves today. First, we made Easter Egg Crispy Treats and, then, we made Chocolate Dipped Peeps. Oh boy!
Let’s get down to it, shall we?
First up – Here is what you will need for the Easter Egg Crispy Treats:
- ½ dozen plastic egg shells, for molding
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 3 cups Crispy Rice cereal
- Anything else you want to use to decorate your eggs
*Note: I halved the ingredients do we did not end up with a bunch of treats. After all, it is only two of us! And, also, given the opportunity to eat all of those treats we would likely not have any self control and they would all be gone in a matter of minutes. No joke! If you have a large bunch, double all of the ingredients, except the butter. Only use 3 tablespoons!
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted
- Remove from heat
- Add crispy rice cereal
- Stir until well coated
- Using the plastic egg shells, stuff each side full and close so that the treats harden a bit
- You will have enough to make six regular sized eggs and one GIGANTIC egg, if you want to! If you want to continue with the smaller eggs, remove a couple and continue to mold like the rest!
- Eat them immediately – or at least within a day or so!
Now for the Chocolate Dipped Peeps – these guys are easy!
- As many peeps as you want
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash milk
- A few ounces of chocolate
- Line a baking sheet with foil or wax paper
- Grease slightly
- In a double broiler, melt the chocolate, butter and milk, stirring until completely melted and has thin consistency
- Dip bottom of peeps in chocolate and placed on baking sheet
- Refrigerate until set
- Eat, with caution, because they are addicting!
See how easy these treats are to make? That could be a problem now since the peeps are going to be on sale tomorrow and we have TONS of chocolate! May be a big problem!
I hope you check back tomorrow to see how our Easter ham turned out. Yesterday one of our friends invited us over to her house for Easter brunch! We accepted the invitation because we love Heidi, but I was slightly disappointed not to be making an entire Easter meal on my own! We agreed to contribute a ham, because we wanted to contribute at least one thing! She already has a HUGE ham, but appeased our offer to bring our own! I am also going to do two desserts. I know there are going to be a few young children there, so Nick & I have a fun dessert planned for them and then I’m going to have a sweet & tart treat for the adults! It will not be anything too extravagant, but I hope you check back to read about our Easter journey!
Until Next Time,