I love pizza. I know, lately, all I have been talking about is how much I love these heavy, calorie packed, comfort foods. If you did not catch it in previous posts, finding good pizza here is virtually impossible. Soon, however, good pizza will be on every street corner and I will be sampling a slice from everywhere! In order to quell the pizza craving, I decided to give making it myself a try last month. Check it out here.
We decided pizza was a must have again and I got down to business. I wanted to make a fun type of pizza, but something that was packed full of yummy flavor. Recently I made Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sliders and I had been craving that same flavor since we ate the last of the sandwiches. What better way to use that flavor on an awesome pizza pie? Yep, you read that right. I made Spicy Buffalo Chicken Pizza! It was AMAZING! It was probably the best pizza I had ever had in my entire life!
Let’s get down to business. Here is what you will need for the dough:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water - somewhere between 100 to 110 degrees F, plus some extra if you need later
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 5 cups all purpose flour, plus some extra if you need it
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Yellow Corn meal
- Put the water in a small bowl and add the yeast, stirring until it is dissolved
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar and salt together
- Add the yeast mixture and stir until soft dough forms
- If the dough is too dry add a tablespoon of extra water at a time; if the dough is too sticky add a tablespoon of extra flour at a time
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface
- With floured hands, knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, about 10 to 12 minutes
- Drizzle the inside of a clean bowl with olive oil
- Put the dough in the bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel
- Set the bowl in a warm, draft-free place, until the dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours
- Using a fist, deflate the dough in the center and cut into 3 equal - sized pieces
- Form the dough pieces into 3 balls and put into 3 oiled bowls
- Cover each bowl loosely with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel and let rest for 1 hour
*If you want to see pictures of the dough process, check it out here!
Here is what you will need for the Spicy Buffalo Chicken mixture:
- Olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 6 ounces spicy hot buffalo wing sauce
- 6 ounce mild buffalo wing sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium – high heat
- Add chicken and a few dashes of spicy buffalo sauce to coat each chicken breast, add pepper and ½ the brown sugar
- Cook over medium heat until chicken is fully cooked
- Remove from heat and allow the chicken to cool and then shred the chicken
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 12 ounces of sauce and the brown sugar and coat thoroughly
Pizza Cooking Directions:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Roll out the dough balls into circles or into whatever shape you like
- Assemble the pizza with your sauce, cheese & chicken
- Once you assemble your pizza, slightly grease a pizza wheel and sprinkle corn meal onto the top so the pizza will not stick
- Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until your pizza is perfectly done to your taste!!
This pizza was AMAZING! I rolled the dough out thinner than before and I loved the slightly crisp edges and the perfectly soft and flavorful center! It was the perfect pizza. Listen to me again – IT.WAS.THE.PERFECT.TASTING.PIZZA!!! I hope you all give it a try! Also, if you want a semi-homemade pizza sauce, check it out here!!!
It’s a great way to get your family involved because you could potentially have a ton of things going on – Nick was beside me helping out with the chicken! It was great!! I hope you all enjoy!
Until Next Time,
Happy Pizza Making!