Today was the day. It happened. Or last night was the night – however you look at when it started. You’re probably asking yourself what I am talking about. Well, I am talking about the Royal Wedding. A wedding that was supposed to help reunite & revitalize a country, its people & its view of the sovereign; a wedding that was supposed to help bring money into a struggling economy; and, a wedding of two people that actually love each other. Awesome, huh? Well, I did not actively support waking up at one in the morning, but I also did not protest the whole affair, either. It seemed like so many of my friends were polarized on the issue: those that created a fairytale meal to wake up to. Picture it: scones, tea, clotted cream, champagne, and strawberries sliced all prepared for an early morning television visual of the wedding. And then there were those making fun of the aforementioned people. The banter on both sides was endless! I just stayed out of it.
I am not that person. I did not set my alarm clock to wake up because I knew I would likely see it replayed on all of the news channels in the days to come. I was shocked that coverage had already begun before I even went to bed last night. With that being said, however, somebody was snoring so loud last night that I woke up at 1am. Oh yes. I actually watched parts of this royal affair. I stayed up long enough to hear the “I will” and fell asleep. I was satisfied. By the time the “kiss” happened, it was time to wake up anyway – so, yes, I saw the kisses! I’m pretty satisfied with that considering I am having a difficult time finding anything other than random coverage of it on most news channels.
This has nothing to do with food though, right? I apologize. I did not make scones, but I know an awesome scone lady who probably could have hooked me up, if I wanted. You’ll hear more about her tomorrow. So, what do I have for you today? I present to you all the Not-So-Royal Shrimp Egg Rolls.
These are easy to make and pretty awesome! Here is what you will need:
- Egg Rolls Wrappers
- Shrimp, tails removed and cut up finely
- Bag of cole slaw mix, or whatever variation you like best
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Soy Sauce, to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Sugar, pinch
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Put your cole slaw in a large microwaveable bowl, cover and heat for about 4 minutes
- Chop up the shrimp, garlic and any other fillers you want to include
- Splash in some soy sauce
- Drain the coleslaw to make sure the excess liquid is removed [no need for soggy egg roll]
- Combine the coleslaw mix with the rest of your ingredients
- Place a bit of filling in the center of each wrapper
- Fold in two of the corners
- Put a bit of water on the top edges with your finger
- Fold up the bottom and roll as tightly as you can to the edge
- Repeat with the rest of the egg rolls
- Place on a slightly greased baking sheet
- You can spray the egg rolls with the cooking spray, if you like
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then flip the egg rolls over and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes
- Cool slightly and EAT! Yummy
You can serve with a rice vinegar dipping sauce or a spicy and sweet sauce [which is what I did!]
This was an incredibly easy appetizer/meal. It really depends on my many you eat whether you want to classify this as a meal or an appetizer. I hope you all give them a try. They would probably be good with just about anything stuffed in the middle! Do whatever tastes right to you!
Happy Friday Everybody!!
Until Next Time,
Happy Egg Rollin’
P.S. Don't forget the Space Shuttle Endeavours Final Launch today!! :)