Today is the day. Oh, yes it is. What day you may be asking? Well, today is the day you see one of my recent grilled cheese creations. After all, it is Grilled Cheese Month. Now, I do not know if it is Grilled Cheese Awareness month or eat as many grilled cheese sandwiches as you can month; all I know is that grilled cheese will always be part of my April’s and have always been a part of my life.
When I was younger I used to love when my mom made grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner or a weekend lunch. To this day she perfects the melted cheese like no restaurant or person has been able to offer me. I tried my best to recreate that melted goodness the last couple of nights and I hope you all try one of these creations.
Today I am bringing to you one of the most unique grilled cheese sandwiches my little imagination could create. Are you ready for it? Well, take a look at this Macaroni and Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Oh yes, a Mac ‘n’ Cheese Grilled Sandwich. Honestly, I do not know what could be better!
Let's get down to business. Here is what you will need:
- Leftover homemade macaroni and cheese, heated
- Leftover ribs, heated
- American Cheese
- Bacon, crispy
- Thick Bread Slices
- Crisp the bacon and let cool, crumble into small pieces
- Mix the macaroni and cheese with some rib meat
- Liberally butter one side of each piece of bread
- In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of butter over medium – low heat and coat entire bottom of pan
- Sprinkle some bacon pieces on the buttered side of the bread, pressing the pieces into the bread to make sure they stay
- Add the slice of bread, butter and bacon side down
- Layer it up: start with a few slices of cheese, then scoop some macaroni and cheese and top it off with a few additional slices of cheese. Then cap it with another piece of bread, butter and bacon side up
- Let the sandwich cook for about 4 minutes on low heat, making sure not to press the sandwich down with the spatula
- Once the bread is browned, flip it, carefully, and allow the other side to brown slightly. If you need to add an additional dollop of butter, then do so as you flip. You do not want this yummy creation to burn!
This was such an AMAZING creation. I love the idea of stuffing a sandwich with macaroni and cheese, who could not love this? It was super easy and packed full of cheesy goodness. The one great thing about this meal was being able to use up some of our macaroni and cheese leftovers from the night before. I think this has etched its way onto our permanent sandwich rotation list.
I hope you all give this a try. I would not promote eating this sandwich everyday or even every week because, not only is it packed full of flavor and cheesy goodness, it is packed full of calories, too. Enjoy it and savor it the first time around, but save this sandwich for the next time you have leftover homemade macaroni and cheese!! You should know the reason I am giving you this advice is because I am one of those people who would make homemade macaroni and cheese only to make this sandwich. I need to put my advice in writing so that I can come back and reread it when I am in the midst of doing something over the top!
I hope you all enjoy!!
Until Next Time,
Happy Grillin’ Cheese!