Last night we had a whirlwind of food all over the kitchen, but I’m not bringing any of those creations to you today. Instead, I’m bringing to you another fabulous grilled cheese sandwich. This time I paired it with homemade tomato soup; I cannot even tell you how amazing the soup was – it is beyond words.
As some of you may know, I am in love with cheese. While I try to eat it in moderation, sometimes it is difficult to stop once I have started. Thus the reason you will be reading about another fantastic grilled cheese recipe today. I promise I don’t have another one coming until next week sometime.
When Nick and I first moved we decided to stock our freezer and pantry up so that we would be ahead of the foodie game. Meaning, if we front-loaded the cost, we would pay less in the long run because we would not have to buy a ton of food every week. We did a fairly good job, but we did it planning to be in one spot for at least a year. There has been a slight change in our plans, so we have to eat, eat, eat. While our move depends solely on the U.S. government passing a budget, I am optimistic things will work out. I guess I am optimistic because I WANT things to work out, especially for my panda bear. Either way, we do not want our food to go to waste, so I got to work on planning ways to utilize everything we have. That is out this amazing Chicken, Bacon and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich was created.
I am a chicken eater; I love chicken. As a result, we have plenty of chicken in our freezer. What better way to celebrate grilled cheese month and my love for chicken than by pairing the two together.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- American Cheese
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Liberally season the chicken with salt pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Allow to sit for 30 minutes to soak up the flavor of the spices
- Ina large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat
- Add the chicken and cook on medium – low heat until cooked through, approximately 20 to 25 minutes. You want the chicken to have a nice browned appearance, not burnt.
- Remove from Heat
- In the same skillet, cook the bacon on medium – low temperature until cooked through
- Butter one side of each slice of bread
- In another skillet, heat, on medium – low heat, a tablespoon or two of butter so the entire bottom is covered
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in the skillet
- Layer the sandwich up: 2 slices American Cheese, 2 Slices Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Bacon, Chicken and then cap with another 2 slices of each cheese
- Let the bottom cook for 4 minutes until it is golden and then carefully flip the sandwich and cook the other side
- If you want to put a lid over the skillet to ensure maximum melted cheese, then do it! It works pretty well!!
- Then eat, eat, eat it all up!
It’s really that easy! Check back tomorrow for the homemade tomato soup recipe! I promise it will become your go-to tomato soup concoction!!
Until Next Time,
Happy Weekend Adventures!!