Good Morning Everybody! Well, for some of you it should be a great afternoon because it is Saturday. Wherever you are in this great world, I hope you’re happy and enjoying beautiful weather like we are! I know I told you all that I would bring to you the homemade tomato soup I made with our grilled cheese the other night, but I’m going to postpone sharing that with you today. It will be well worth it, I think.
So, what could compare to creamy homemade tomato soup? Well, what about sweet Strawberry Shortcake! Oh yes! It was amazing. I love strawberries. I mean, I could eat them each and every day. If I could substitute all of my meals with strawberries, I would be quite the happy camper. But, alas, I’m supposed to eat other nutritional foods to remain healthy. Blasphemy, if you ask me!
This strawberry shortcake is easy to make. I mean it, it took me 20 minutes. Though I did think ahead and prepared the strawberries in advance. That took an additional 10 minutes. Prep the strawberries in the morning, it’s well worth the eventual outcome.
Let’s get down to business. Here is what you will need:
- 2 containers fresh strawberries, stemmed. You can quarter them, but I left them whole. Mmm
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cherry juice - honestly, you could totally add a 1/4 cup of cherry juice and let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Mix strawberries with 4 tablespoons sugar and cherry juice. Mix until coated and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and 3 tablespoons sugar and salt
- Add heavy cream and mix until combined
- Place mixture in a lightly greased 8 inch square pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes
- Remove shortcake and place on wire rack to cool
- Cut and split each piece. Spoon some strawberries with juice onto the shortcake
- Top with whipped cream and more strawberries and juice
This was so good and quick. I have some great things planned in the future for strawberry shortcake and new variations so keep checking back. I am so glad that I added the cherry juice to the strawberries. If you did not know, aside from strawberries, I LOVE CHERRIES!! Any and all kinds of cherries. Obviously I had some on hand and used the sweet juice they are soaked in. Do it!! Use the cherry juice! You will never be disappointed.
Also, as a sidenote, not everybody likes things like this as sweet as I do. Cut back on the sugar you add to the strawberries if you want to. Often times strawberries are sweet enough for some people, if that is you just add a little sugar and some cherry juice and be done with it! No harm done!!!
I hope you all enjoy and have a great weekend!
Until Next Time,
Happy Shortcake Bakin’!