Good Morning everybody!! It is almost noon on the East Coast and you know what that means?? For most of you guys noon marks the middle of the work week – come on, that has got to feel good, right? For a lot of us the weather is KILLER – it is hot, Hot, HOT!! What are you thinking about for dinner? I know a lot of people do not like going all out for meals when it is so hot outside, so today I have something very simple, yet INCREDIBLY delicious!
I brought to you yesterday a very delicious and simple recipe for a breakfast biscuit. People around the country stop at the drive thru every morning to buy one of those yummy biscuit sandwiches, but now you do not have to because I showed you how simple they are to make. Well, a lot of people stop by the drive thru for dinner, especially on hot nights, to pick up dinner on the way home. Today, I bring to you something that will make you stop and think about stopping at a drive-thru for dinner ever again! It is simple. It is delicious. It is filling and it takes less than 30 minutes. In fact if you focus you can probably get this meal on the table in about 15 minutes. Are you ready? Okay! Here it comes. Today I bring to you the ALMIGHTY Chili – Cheese Hot Dog! Oh yes, you read that right!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ to 1 pound ground beef
- ½ jalapeño, small dice
- ¼ onion, small dice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or small dice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- A few tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 can chili ready tomato sauce
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- Pepper to taste
- Hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- Cheese Whiz
- Over medium – high heat, add oil to medium skillet
- Cook ground beef, drain and set aside
- While the beef is cooking, heat up a tablespoon or two of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Chop up the vegetables and sauté the jalapeno, garlic and onion in the saucepan
- Add tomato sauce, ground beef, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, powder, and pepper
- Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes
- In the meantime, grill up your hot dogs and hot dog buns
- Melt the cheese whiz and make your dogs!
- I added the chili first and cheese second. You can assemble your dogs whatever way you want!
These little guys were amazing. Lately, I have been guilty of stopping by a favorite drive – in restaurant of mine and ordering up a chili cheese dog! I got to thinking why I have never attempted making one of those dogs myself and this weekend was prime-time to give it a try! Making these little guys was simple and I could add as much cheese as I wanted to the dog, which is my own guilty pleasure! I am a cheese addict and my favorite drive – in never puts enough cheese on the dog for me! At home I added a heaping amount to the top!
On a day like today, when it feels like 110 degrees outside why worry about making a huge dinner? Nobody likes to feel weighed down with food on hot days and this dinner solves that problem! You can make some baked potatoes that pair really well with these dogs – chili & cheese on top of a potato? Sure, why not! For those kids or people who do not want to add all of the cheese & chili on the dogs, keep it simple and add whatever you like on the dogs – sauerkraut or mustard and ketchup. It is up to you!
I hope you all give these a try!!!
Until Next Time,