Happy Friday Foodies! I hope the work day goes quickly for those of you in the office and the weekend goes slow so that you can enjoy every second! We do not have much planned for the weekend. For the last week or so I figured Nick would be going home to visit his dad for Father’s Day. I am not entirely sure why the plans fell through, but now he is staying with me this weekend. I was kind of looking forward to a weekend by myself. Our lives have been on a never ending fast paced train for a long time so having a weekend to sit around and read and teeter around the city by myself would have been lovely. I do not know about you, but having a day or two alone rejuvenates the soul!
Now that I’m not alone this weekend I have a full menu to handle, which is no big deal! I am actually looking forward to it. Today I have something that is delicious, moist, gluten free and amazingly simple. Are you ready for it? Today I have Chicken Cordon Bleu! I love this dish. It is one of my favorites. I guess that does not really mean much to some people because I have a LOT of FAVORITES. All things considered, this is a GREAT meal; and, better yet, it is super simple to make so the kiddos can get involved.
That leads me to the next piece of news! Today begins a new mini-series! Because this meal was very simple to make and actually kind of fun I thought it would be a great recipe to kick of Kid Friendly Friday’s. Now I cannot guarantee that every Friday will be Kid-Friendly, I will do my best to be consistent through the summer so that all of your kid’s can get in the kitchen and help; especially now that they are home for the summer!
Here is what you will need:
- 3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- Deli Ham, sliced thin
- Swiss cheese, sliced thin
- ½ cup Gluten Free Bisquick [or GF Flour if the Bisquick is not available in your area]
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place each chicken breast in a sealable sandwich bag and gently pound with the flat side of a meal mallet until it’s about ¼ to ½ inch thick [the kids will LOVE this]
- Grease a glass baking dish with the butter
- In a food processor, place cereal, garlic salt and basil. Cover & process until finely ground like flour. Pour the mixture in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and milk and set aside
- In another bowl add the bisquick and set aside
- [You want an assembly line of bowls: bisquick, egg, cereal mixture]
- Layer 1 or 2 slices of ham on top of the chicken followed by 1 slice of cheese
- Roll up the chicken fairly tight and secure each with a toothpick so that the cheese and ham remain enclosed inside of the chicken
- Coat each rolled chicken breast with the bisquick mix, the egg mixture and then the cereal mixture
- Place in the baking dish
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes and EAT!
I served these with yummy gorgonzola mashed potatoes, which paired extremely well with the chicken breasts! You can serve anything you would like with them: baked potato, salad, vegetable. This recipe is a hotbed for good side dishes! I hope you all give it a try; more importantly, I hope you let your kids get down and dirty in the kitchen with this dish. Make sure to watch them when they pound out the meat and remember to have them wash their hands every time they handle the raw meat! You do not want any cross contamination!
Until Next Time,