Good Morning Foodies & Happy Thursday! Can you believe it is already Thursday? I cannot. This weekend is a holiday weekend, so I bet many of you are looking forward to a long weekend! Woohoo! I have nothing special going on this weekend. I am pretty sad about it. Nick is going home to see his family this weekend and I’m staying behind; so I’m not even going to celebrate with my solider this Independence Day. Double BOO! I bet you’re wondering why I am not going with him to see is family; am I right? Read between the lines: another post for another day. Now if you are reading between the lines in the right way, you all should know that his family is marvelous. However, like most things go, one person can ruin everything.
Moving right along.
I don’t know about any of you, but I love fruit salad. I am addicted to fresh fruit most of the year, but I am in heaven each summer when all of my beautiful fruits, flavors and colors are out in full bloom just calling my name in the grocery store. What makes it better is all of my fruits greet me as soon as I walk in; it is like my name is being called from all parts of the first section of the store. Oh how blissfully fruit-filled summer is. Now I am not trying to toot my own horn or anything but my mom makes a killer fruit salad. Nick and I go CRAZY over it. Since we were visiting her last weekend she surprised us with a bowl big enough to feed us for a week. No lie.
I can guarantee that most of you are either hosting a 4th of July party or picnic this weekend or going to one; am I right? I knew it! Are you still trying to figure out what to make? Well, look no further because I have the best Fruit Salad in the world.
Ingredients [for our version]:
- 2 each Red & Yellow papaya
- 2 pears
- 1 pineapple
- 2 oranges
- 2 jars maraschino cherries [the big jars]
- 2 pounds black grapes
- 1 ½ pound blackberries
- 2 [12 ounce] cans passion fruit juice
- 2 [12 ounce] cans papaya juice
- Mix everything together
- Top it all off with some orange juice [to taste]
- Peel the papaya’s and remove the seed from each and then cut into small chunks. Place into large bowl
- Chop each pear into small chunks. Place into the same large bowl
- Core one fresh pineapple & slice it relatively thin. Then cut it into small to medium sized chunks and place into the large bowl.
- Squeeze as much pineapple juice from the leftover core into the fruit bowl
- Peel, seed and slice the oranges into medium sized chunks
- Dump cherries [and only some juice] into the bowl. You can use fresh cherries, but remember to remove the seed. I love fresh cherries, but maraschino cherries are terrific in this particular fruit salad
- Halve only the larger grapes; you do not necessarily need to worry about the smaller grapes. Then add these to the fruit bowl
- Add both the passion fruit juice and the papaya juice
- Then add the blackberries and top with the orange juice. You want to add as much orange juice as you like; it all depends on your taste
- Refrigerate until ready to take to the parrrrtayyy! You do want to make sure to refrigerate this until it is chilled. It is much better cold!
How awesome & easy does this sound? This fruit salad is out of this world! I know it may not seem as healthy as regular fruit salad, but it is well worth the extra calories from the juices. In reality you probably are not consuming that many more calories because this recipes yields a lot of fruit salad. Like I said it could feed Nick and I for a week. Though I’m pretty sure my mom used more fruit for us. That is neither here nor there.
My mom has always made this fruit salad. It’s been held in her secret vault until today. She tells me that you can add any fruits you like. For example, if you want to add apples just core the apples and chop them up into medium sized chunks. Before you add it to the rest of the fruit make sure to coat it with a bunch of lemon juice to ensure it does not brown.
I hope you all enjoy this salad as much as we do! It is super easy and super light on these hot, hot summer days!
Until Next Time,
Happy Fruit Eatin’