Happy Wednesday foodies!! It’s been quite the morning; Pipsqueak had an appointment at the Vet this morning. He knew something was happening, but, in his wildest dreams, I don’t think he understood that we were going to get a shot and not a toy. You may be asking, how could he get the two confused? Well, you see, PetSmart is right next to his Veterinarian’s office. Now do you understand? The moment he knows he is going for a car ride he gets incredibly excited and the fact that we drove to one of his favorite stores in his little doggie world did not help quell his excitement; that is, until we walked through the wrong door. In that moment he wanted to jump into my arms and be carried back to the car.
He survived, like he always does and he is currently rolling around all over the carpet in typical Pippy fashion. How could I not love him?
How does this have anything to do with food? I can already hear you asking yourselves. Well, first I had to bribe Pippy with cookies [dog cookies] when we were in the office; he is certainly willing to be bribed and has no particular embarrassment about it. Let me say, though, he does not bark, growl or do anything vicious at the office. He is scared enough to sit in my lap most of the time and, with random strokes of curiosity, he will walk around the office checking it all out. So, you see, there is the food connection.
However, while I sat there waiting for this awful process to be over I could not stop thinking about my dinner last night, which is the real reason you all are here, correct? I happen to love broccoli, cheese, and rice. Now separately they are all equally delicious; but together they are an unstoppable combination! It’s a trilogy of a good foods exploding in your mouth! Therefore, last night I made the Cheesiest Broccoli, Cheese and Rice Casserole!
Here is what you will need:
- ½ bag frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ½ to 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, add frozen broccoli and ¼ cup water and cover with a wet paper towel; microwave for about 5 minutes or until fork tender
- Cook rice according to directions, but add ½ cup liquid more than directions call for, ½ teaspoon onion powder & ½ teaspoon garlic powder to the boiling water. Add rice and cover according to directions until the rice is fork tender and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, grease a casserole dish
- In a large bowl whisk together the soup and milk until smooth
- Add the cooked rice and broccoli and mix together
- Fold in 2 cups of cheese
- Pour into the greased casserole dish
- Cook for 25 minutes; in the last 5 minutes top with ½ cheese and broil
- Let it cool, if you can and then EAT!
I made a cheesy broccoli rice casserole before but it did not turn out as moist as I wanted it to; however, this time it was an incredibly different story. Adding the extra liquid to the rice and then the milk made it incredibly creamy and delicious! I was in love with the very first bite. If I could I probably would have eaten the entire casserole; but, luckily for me, my stomach could not handle more than a serving!
This is easily whipped together any day of the week! I hope you all enjoy
Until Next Time,
Happy Casserole Makin’