Happy Tuesday! I have to admit that I’m addicted to many things, but this morning I’m addicted to Bravo Television; specifically The Real Housewives of New York [RHNY]. About a year ago I decided to give watching one of the Housewives shows a shot and BAM! I was addicted. Nick could not believe it. He is constantly asking how an educated & reasonable person could like this series? Honestly, I do not think my addiction to "reality" televsion has anything to do with education or reason. I like the television I like even though I've been around the academia block. He makes fun of me each time it is on and heckles me until I feel bad enough to change the channel; despite having more than one television – meaning, he could easily go into another room and watch his own junk show.
Another issue I am running into this morning – it is overcast outside! Therefore, I am feeling quite lethargic this morning. I am thoroughly enjoying the overcast skies but it does not help peel me away from my obsession with a marathon of RHNY. I need to join a support group.
So how does this all tie in with food, you are probably wondering. Well, it really does not to be perfectly honest. However, this RHNY is going to be on all day and, if you’re like me, you’ll want to whip up something quick so that you don’t miss a minute. Nick has been talking about Stewed Tomatoes for weeks so I decided to give making them a try! Surprisingly they were pretty easy to make and they were a huge hit with Nick [Reader’s Note: I do not like Stewed Tomatoes on their own!] This dish was for Nick exclusively! Now I do not mind baking Macaroni & Cheese and adding some Stewed Tomatoes or adding them to a chili or another dish, but eating them own their own makes me cringe!
It is a super easy dish, so let’s get down to business.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled & chopped with the seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 3 basil leaves
- Method for Peeling Tomatoes:
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil
- Drop one tomato at a time in the boiling water for about 10 seconds
- Remove the tomato to a bowl of ice water long enough for the tomato to cool
- Use a knife to make a cut around the top of the tomato and then slide the skin off
- **NOTE: Make sure not to leave the tomatoes in the boiling water for much longer than 10 seconds, it will start to cook & you do not want that!
- After the tomatoes are peeled, chop & de-seed the tomatoes
- Put the peeled, chopped and seedless tomatoes into a medium sized saucepan
- Add butter, sugar, salt and pepper to the tomatoes
- Heat to a simmer, and then reduce heat to medium low
- Let simmer for about 30 minutes or until tomatoes are cooked, soft & all of the flavors have blended together
- Remove basil leaves
- Add additional basil, butter, sugar, salt and pepper to your liking [or don’t add any at all!!]
See how easy these are to make? You will miss nothing in the 30 minutes that it takes for the tomatoes to simmer! In those moments I whipped up some macaroni and cheese so that I had something to eat for dinner; and, of course, I mixed in the stewed tomatoes. They were really yummy! It was fun to make stewed tomatoes from scratch rather than using a can! Though I will never give up on my canned tomatoes; I know some of you are probably gasping for air after reading that statement!
I hope you all give these a try!
Until Next Time,
Happy Stewing Tomatoes!!