Happy Friday Lovely Foodies! Last night I was cooking up a storm while also co-dealing with our fun move. Oh yes, we are still trying to handle the move six weeks later. Mayflower and all of their entities are the most incompetent business I have ever encountered in my adult life. The company got everything wrong; and, we are paying… literally. I do not know if it was the pure frustration or running around the kitchen with only some fluffernutter in my stomach but I suddenly got sick. It was horrific for a couple of reasons. Most importantly, I was not able to eat dinner! It was sad.
Even though I was not able to enjoy dinner last night, I know what I made will be enjoyable for all of you. For my Kid – Friendly Friday segment this week I give to you Mini Mac and Cheese Cakes! They are super easy and super yummy. Oh, and they can easily be gluten free!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 to 1 ½ cup uncooked macaroni noodles [if you are Gluten Free then use GF noodles!]
- 3 cups Corn Chex Cereal, finely crushed
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Cook and drain the macaroni as directed [using the ¼ teaspoon of salt in the water if you like]
- Move oven rack to the lower third of the oven
- Lightly grease 12 regular sized muffin tins
- In a medium bowl, mix crushed cereal, 1 cup of the cheese & the 4 tablespoons melted butter together
- Divide mixture among muffin cups; press firmly in bottom and up the sides of the muffin cups with your hands
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together remaining butter and flour blend for about a minute
- Gradually stir in warmed milk with whisk
- Cook and stir about 5 minutes until thickened
- Add the remaining 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese and whisk together until completely melted
- Pour over the cooked macaroni & and incorporate
- Spoon about ¼ cup mixture into each crust lined cup
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese on top of each of the muffin cups
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown
- Cool and EAT!
This is such a great idea to get the kids involved and it is not the typical macaroni and cheese recipe that everybody thinks the kids love. I know that children love macaroni & cheese, I mean, I love macaroni & cheese, but it gets boring after a while. This is a great way to spruce up the age – old staple while getting the kids involved in a different way.
I hope you all enjoy & Happy Friday!
Until Next Time,
Happy Macaroni & Cheesin’