Happy Tuesday Foodies! This morning started out a bit better than I expected and I am feeling more optimistic than I have in the last few months. It is nothing too special, just a good morning. I hope you are all having a great start to your day. Even though I am having a relatively good morning, I kind of counteracted all of the positivity by stuffing my face with junk food this morning. Oh well, we cannot win all of the battles in life, right?
Today I have a phenomenal recipe for you that turned out much better than I could have EVER imagined and it is super healthy for you, too. Today I give to you Tart Apple, Cheese & Chicken Pizza. Wondering how I could come up with something like that? Well, I will tell you. I was looking through one of my Weight Watchers books yesterday and saw a healthy pizza that looked delicious, but I did not want to make it the way the book wanted me too. I did not even want to use the ingredients the recipe called for; so, the only thing I could think to do is create my own, healthy style pizza.
It was a huge hit, by the way.
Nick tells me it should be on my menu when I start a restaurant; I personally think it would be a great appetizer or even a phenomenal meal option. I have to perfect it in the months ahead. I have this fantasy of creating a pizza that has apples that pop with sweet tart flavors and different kinds of cheese. Let’s get down to the recipe so you know what I am talking about.
Serving Size: 1/6 of pizza
Calories per serving: 314
Fat per serving: 9.5 g
Carbohydrates per serving: 6.3 g
Fiber per serving: 1 g
Protein per serving: 8 g
PointsPlus Value: 4 per slice
Here is what you will need:
- 1 [14 ½ ounce] can diced tomatoes, roasted
- ¾ block extra sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1 [4 ounce] can diced green chilies
- 1 refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 tart apple, sliced thin
- 1 [2 or 3ounce] boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked & shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Grease a cookie sheet and then unroll the pizza dough so that it covers the entire cookie sheet
- Slice cheese, applies and either warm the green chilies & tomatoes in a pan or roast them in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes
- Now, layer the ingredients. First, layer the roasted tomatoes on top of the dough.
- Then add the sliced apples. Next add the shredded chicken. And, finally, add the sliced pieces of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges of the dough are golden brown and/or your house smells like a little piece of heaven. Usually my house starts to smell delicious when the pizza is finished.
- Slice into 6 pieces and eat away!
Like I mentioned above, this pizza is nothing to mess with; it was delicious! Next time I may try a bigger slice for the apples and add blue cheese. I am so excited to add the blue cheese. Last night Nick mentioned adding blue cheese 2 or 3 times and I pleasantly ignored him because I had added a ton of cheese already and was not about to tack on any additional calories.
The best part about this pizza is this: Nick could have eaten the entire pizza and still have used less points than he is allotted each day. I was astonished by how good this pizza was in theory. For somebody like me, who is given a lot less points each day, if I would have eaten the entire pizza I would have tapped out on my points; but I would not have gone over. That is still awesome!
I cannot wait to make this again: phyllo dough, blue cheese, tart apple? It’s a recipe for awesomeness! Don’t steal my idea people! J
Until Next Time,