Happy Tuesday Foodies! I have a ton of things to do today, namely clean the house and go grocery shopping. Nick and I are going to go shopping together, which is killer for me. He tends to frolic, leave the cart unattended in the middle of the isles and putter around trying to find non-grocery list items. Now, I’m not complaining about the last thing, but leaving the cart in the middle of the isle upsets me because it upsets other people. Come on, you know what I’m talking about. Imagine yourself grocery shopping, turning down isle 4 and not being able to get around the unattended grocery cart. Yep, he’s that person.
Ignoring him does not help, because he ends up taking more time to look around. He rolls his eyes at me when I roll my eyes at him in frustration, which frustrates me more. And he wonders why I want to shop without him. I can already hear the ‘but I love going grocery shopping with you’ line as he realizes I’m asking to do the shopping without him. And I hopelessly feel guilty for trying to exclude him from anything. So, more often than not, I’ve got my panda bear roaming around the store with me; and, I am frantically trying to keep him in line.
There is no putting off grocery shopping for another day – we have nothing to eat. Well, I’m sure I could whip something together based on the stuff that we do have, but Nick’s sister, Chantelle, is coming to visit us on Wednesday. Remember she’s the totally awesome one I mention from time to time. Her boyfriend Keith and little Lilly [Pippy’s sister] are coming to visit too! I’m so excited to cook for them. The reason I started dabbling in Gluten Free recipes is because of Keith. So you can all thank Keith for my interest in a Gluten Free diet.
Even though we are out of food right now, I do have something very special for you. Today I have an amazing Chicken Pot Pie recipe for you. I actually came across the awesome recipe from one of my awesome foodie friends – The Southern Lady Cooks. Her recipes are out of this world and this dish is no different. I adapted this recipe to my taste quite a bit, but that’s because I am pretty picky with some things.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 to 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ bag frozen broccoli, thawed
- Some frozen carrots, to your liking [they were limited in my dish]
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup bisquick
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cut chicken breasts into bite sized pieces
- Melt butter in skillet and add chicken, pepper, garlic, salt, and onion powder
- In the meantime, wash, peel and cube the potatoes
- In a large stockpot add the potatoes, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium – high heat
- Allow the potatoes to cook on the stove for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork tender
- When potatoes and chicken are finished cooking, microwave your broccoli & carrots for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, chicken and vegetables and set aside
- In another bowl combine the chicken soup, chicken broth and other seasoning and whisk together
- Lightly grease a casserole dish, combine the potato mixture & soup mixture together and pour into the casserole dish
- In a separate bowl mix the bisquick, evaporated milk and egg. Whisk well
- Spread evenly over the top of the mixture in the casserole dish
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown on top
*Note: I am a vegetable snob. I used only broccoli, but you can easily add carrots and peas instead of the broccoli. I’m not a huge fan of most vegetables, so vegetable eater beware!
This was such an awesome dish! I’m super glad I gave it a try. I love the idea of hot potatoes, chicken and creamy mixture together. It is one of my all-time favorite dishes in the entire world! A big thank you to The Southern Lady Cooks for sharing this recipe with the world! You made that night bright for me!
Until Next Time,
Happy Chicken Pot Pie’n