Happy Tuesday Friends! I am writing to all of you today from the comfort of our HUGE LoveSac. Don’t know what a LoveSac is? No problem. Check them out here. I am probably sitting too close to a gigantic television screen and I’m wallowing in self-misery. Yep, you heard it. I am not smiling. Pippy and I are down in the dumps… and Monday has already passed. Monday is the day you’re supposed to feel this way, right? Not Tuesday!
Well, I will tell you why I am feeling pretty bummed today. Many of you either heard about or were affected by Hurricane Irene. She caused some havoc, especially on base Quantico. I will not get into the details because I do not want to give ‘bad’ people any idea of the potential severity of the problem. Either way, because of the problems, Nick did not have to go to work yesterday and today he was delayed until noon. I was half hoping that he would not have to go into work again today. I like having him around. However, he left about 20 minutes ago and now I am here, all alone, missing him like crazy and sipping on my Macchiato, wishing we were out frolicking together.
I am in a F.U.N.K.
Anyway, I mentioned Hurricane Irene. Well, last weekend, in an attempt to prepare, Nick and I created an awesome crock pot dish that we could keep warm until we lost power. We never lost power. But we still had our creation. Are you ready to be blown away by our Hurricane Irene concoction?
Serving Size: 1 HEAPING cup full, small amount of chips
Total Calories: 292.5
Total Fat: 15 G
Total Carbohydrates: 9 G
Total Fiber: 2.7 G
Total Protein: 28.6 G
Today I give you Hurricane [Irene] Stew with Shutters & Shingles.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds beef
- 2 spicy sausage links
- 2 pieces of the corn on the cob, cooked & kernals removed!
- 2 cans chili ready tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 2 or 3 whole jalapenos, minced
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon
- Handful of baked salt & vinegar chips, broken into small chunks
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add a couple of tablespoons of oil
- When the oil is thoroughly heated, add the beef and cook until it is no longer pink
- Add the beef to the crock pot. Then cook the sausage until it is no longer pink, cutting it into small pieces
- Add the sausage to the crock pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot, mix thoroughly and cook on high for several hours or low for 6 hours.
- When your Hurricane Stew is finished, serve it in a bowl and add some shingles & shutters [a handful of broken pieces of baked chips]
Cool, huh?! We LOVED this stew. Nick was not keen on adding the shutters and shingles to the stew; he is worried about losing weight. We figured out the points for a serving of potato chips & now every time I turn around he is eating potato chips. He is having so much fun with Weight Watchers and knowing that he can eat whatever he wants. It makes me smile, but I don’t want him to get too comfy.
This hurricane stew was great. In fact, I think we will keep it on our rotation for quite some time. Even though Irene was not nice, this stew treated us very fairly!! I hope you all give this a try.
Until Next Time,
P.S. This could easily be gluten free if you subsitute the chips for a GF brand. No biggie!!