Good Morning Friends! It’s another beautiful day today. Plenty of people hope for gorgeous days as much as I wish for gloomy, dreary days. I am not weird or anything, but for exactly one year all that has surrounded me has been blue skies. That is no joke. We moved to the Mexican border exactly a year ago, which means I lived through a winter of hot days and a dusting of snow. Besides my time spent in Miami, last winter was the first time I missed a Northeast winter in my entire life. I hated it.
I was born and bred in the Northeast and I am most in love with the Fall and Winter. Many people run from the snow or at least complain about it; I dream it up and wish to Mother Nature that she will dump mounds of it on my door step each winter. I am sad when she fails me and I complain about the mild winter until the following season.
Yep, I complain about not having snow.
I am looking forward to making hot drinks, soups, crock pot creations and everything heavy and rich that comes along with winter. I cannot wait until the seasons start to change. Until then, a girl can dream.
Last week I was in the mood for something hearty, but with a sweet undertone. I figured out just what I wanted to make. One of the only foods I know I usually only eat during the Fall and Winter is cornbread, so what’s better to kick off the unofficial start of Fall than a recipe that includes cornbread?
Nothing. I hear you.
I am glad you agree. So take a look at this delicious Cheesy Cornbread and Beef Casserole. This could only be better if chicken was involved in some way; though I think that ground beef was probably the best thing to use for this meal. Let’s get on to the best part.
Fat: 30 g
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 33.5 g
Here is what you will need:
Recipe Adapted from Kraft Foods
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- ½ tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 15 ounces enchilada sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 package cornbread mix [I used Jiffy]
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Brown meat with onions and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat
- After the meat is completely cooked through, stir in the jalapenos, green chilies, enchilada sauce, cumin and Cajun seasoning
- Prepare muffin batter as directed on package
- Stir in ¾ of the cheese
- Pour the beef mixture into a greased casserole dish
- Spread the mixture over the meat mixture
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ of the cheese over the top of the mixture
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread topping comes out clean
- Cool slightly
This dish was so simple to make and packed full of delicious flavor. I love the slight heat that is mixed in with the meat and the sweetness of the cornbread. It was the perfect dinner and was exactly what I was looking for.
I hope you all give it a try soon!!
Until Next Time,