Happy Friday Foodies! A week ago everybody on the eastern seaboard was preparing for Hurricane Irene; can I tell you that we are STILL dealing with her. No, we did not lose power, have overwhelming destruction or water damage at our home. So why am I still dealing with this storm? I will tell you. Base Quantico must have taken everything offline as a precaution and, while most sections of base had no problem going back online, Nick’s building did not have that luxury. In fact, he did not have work on Monday and went in at noon on Tuesday. I could tell you what he does. I could tell you what he did in the military. I could, but I will not. Everything he deals with is highly classified; however, I will tell you that he protects each of us EVERY SINGLE DAY. He is my super hero and I can guarantee that kids dream of doing what he does. Hell, I dream about doing what he does. Seriously.
Why am I talking about this? Well, Nick and I plan to go to Pennsylvania to visit my mom for this long weekend, but he has been working super hard, super long hours all week in order to trudge through all of the information that exists out there in the world; making sure nothing slips through the cracks. I had hoped today would be different, but I am not that lucky. It seems like he will be gone until later this evening, which means a late night on the road. And to add to all of this, Nick has been so crabby all week. He feels a lot of pressure to protect this lovely country of ours and he is swamped. SWAMPED! So he’s been so stressed all week, it has not been fun. I hate seeing him this way. Honestly, he is NEVER like this; he doesn’t allow most things to bug him…. Well, that’s not true. When things bug him, he easily compartmentalizes everything so he can function with minimum amounts of stress. [He just happens to do the exact opposite of what I do – I freak out & let stress get to me.] That is why he is perfect for me; in my craziest moments, he looks at me and it puts me at ease; with some words of encouragement, of course! Hurricane Irene, you’re still killing me!
Today is Friday, thank God for that! And you know what Friday’s bring, right?! Well, on this blog it means another Kid Friendly Friday segment! I have a great recipe for you all today! Today I give you Mini Chicken Lasagna Cups. I have been seeing these things everywhere lately, but I wanted to make them my own way. Enter: chicken. I have been meaning to use some chicken and I knew with being away this weekend I was going to have to do something with it; these were the best option! They take some time, but getting your kids involved will be so much fun.
Serving Size: 2 cups
Let’s get down to business. Here is what you will need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 cup garlic & basil spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup park skim ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon pepper flakes
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium skillet, add olive oil and cook chicken over medium heat until golden brown
- Remove the chicken and shred into small pieces
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and spaghetti sauce, mix until fully incorporated
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, salt and pepper, garlic & pepper flakes and stir to combine
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and a wonton wrapper in each cup
- Add a tablespoon of ricotta into each muffin tin
- Top each ricotta filled muffin tin with a tablespoon of the chicken mixture
- Sprinkle the top with cheese
- Place another wonton wrapper over the cheese and repeat the layering process again – first, ricotta, then chicken and then sprinkle some cheese to the top
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the wonton wrappers have a golden brown tint to them
- Cool for a couple of minutes and eat away!
These little cups are so delicious and filling. Believe me, when I took them out of the muffin tins they were so heavy. I was pretty surprised how full I was after eating the first couple of bites. These would be great for any weekend festivities; imagine serving these as an appetizer instead of wings or pizza bites. I think your family and friends will want to spend the weekend rummaging through your refrigerator looking for leftovers!
I hope you give these a try with your little sous chefs!
Until Next Time,
Happy Mini Lasagna Makin’!